Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Medieval Warhorses - the Hispano-Arab

So I'm researching training medieval warhorses.  There's a lot of misinformation out there, like all medieval warhorses were 17-19 hands high and were something like Percherons or Clydesdales.   Actually, most warhorses were 14-15 hands high, at least in my century, the 13th century, and it's my understanding that the Hispano-Arab breed was most typical. 


These are beautiful horses and I'll post a picture of one on my next post - I even have permission to use his name (thanks Cody!!!) - so stay tuned - he's gorgeous.  I read several training manuals for present day horses (good grief!) - very complicated, won't be in Book #3, I assure you, but did watch a terrific show on Lippizan horses, and how they are bred and trained.  Very very interesting as many moves that a medieval warhorse is trained to do are similar to what the Lippizans do now. 


If anyone else knows more about training warhorses, I invite you to comment!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment