Thursday, January 8, 2015

Room for "gelo"? Sicilian sorbets that melt in your mouth

So OK, I'm trying to look at lighter alternatives post-holiday season and readers of this blog know I often give you tidbits from and lately, from my lovely Christmas present from my Sicilian friend, Bruno, Sweet Sicily. On page 144 a lovely recipe called Gelo di mellone is described, and I'll need to quote some phrases from the book because the descriptions are so lovely. "In Sicily, the word 'gelo' indicates any refreshing preparation using a liquid that sets at low temperature, with the ice forming in the water." This particular recipe is a watermelon sorbet and the book indicates that melon sorbet is watermelon. Did you know that watermelon was originally imported from Africa - another gift from the Arabs to the incredible cuisine of Sicily. Gelo de mellone can be flavored with jasmine, cinnamon, the fresh sweet juice of watermelon, lemon or coffee. Watermelon in Sicily can be found in the Trapani area or around Messina. The author tells us that this refreshing dessert is a "must" during "Festino di Santa Rosalia" in Palermo which is held every July 14. It's often served with candied pumpkin and chocolate garnish. All I can say, it's not the "jello" I was brought up on!!! As the author informs us: "Because that is how summer evenings are, in Sicily." Yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment