Saturday, October 24, 2015

Dolci, pignolata, Carnival cakes, honey, white meringue, chocolate

Not that I'm thinking about birthday cakes or anything like that, but I just happened to be reading about pignolata last night, which Bill and I ate in Palermo.  The word "pigna" is Italian for cone and they are cone-shaped little cakes made from leftover doughs of the Carnival cakes.  Then they're fried and drizzled in honey- YUMMMMMMM - and nowadays they put chocolate on top or white meringue.


Another dessert we had occasionally at the Rosa Nero in Palermo, our favorite trattoria in the Kalsa, was arancine al cioccolato.  Arancine are usually rice and/or meat filled fried balls, delicious finger food and very satisfying to walk around and eat.  The Rosa Nero made arancine with part of the inside rice ball removed and stuffed with vanilla and chocolate bits.  Then fried.  I thought I died and went to heaven!

No comments:

Post a Comment