Saturday, November 14, 2015

Writing fiction, writing groups and finding your market

I don't think we could have written, much less finished, the first two books in the Vespers Trilogy without a writing group.  Both my co-author and me agree that we need those extra eyes, not just for grammar, but for continuity, sense, anachronisms, all of that. 


What I've learned from writing historical fiction is that I may have the story in my head, but that doesn't necessarily flow effortlessly and gracefully onto the paper.  I still don't know why that doesn't happen but it doesn't for me.  I need objective input, which I may or may not take, but talking about my latest pages and pondering about them motivates me to do better.  It also motivates me to write, period.


My new writing group also discussed finding their markets last week.  This has always proven to be a difficult and nebulous audience to find.  It's obvious that people go to local bookstores to check out the newest and the latest, or peruse something like USA Today's Bestseller list.  But what happens when you are self-published and your book(s) have been out for awhile?  Then where's your market?


Any suggestions, opinions, comments are all appreciate and answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment