Friday, December 11, 2015

December Saints Days, Coffee and Chocolate

So I'm going through my usual morning routine - the cats (which they had in the 13th century) jump on my head, I get up and make coffee (which Sicily did not have in the 13th century) and I contemplate my espresso beans - a gift from my sweet friend Meredith - covered in chocolate (which they did not have in Sicily in the 13th century.  My, those 13th century Sicilians were deprived!  Well, they had cats.  And lemons.  And cane sugar.  And leather.  It's a start ...


And because one of my friends mentioned the Feast of the Immaculate Conception the other day (December 8) I thought I'd peruse the Book of Saints to see how many December saints there are.  Holy Smokes!  Check out the list below - there's a virtual plethora of them!   Happy Feast Days!  (it always comes back to food doesn't it?)


St. Francis Xavier
St. John Damascene
St. Nicholas (
Santa Claus)
St. Ambrose
Mary's Immaculate Conception
St. Damasus
Our Lady of Guadalupe
St. Jane Frances de Chantal
St. John of the Cross
St. Peter Canisius
St. Lucy (Santa Lucia - my personal favorite)
St. John of Kanti
St. Stephen
St. John the Apostle
Holy Innocents
St. Thomas Becket
St. Sylvester


Now, as a defunct Methodist, most of these saints are not familiar to me.  But Santa Lucia, not only a popular saint in Sicily/Italy, I met at a Lutheran Church in Chicago.  I attended a Santa Lucia Day ceremony, with young girls coming down the aisle wearing tiaras with lighted candles on their heads.  Very impressive.  Santa Lucia is also Siracusa's patron saint and they have a beautiful procession, with Santa Lucia cakes.


And who doesn't know the story of Thomas Becket?  "Who will rid me of this meddlesome priest" in the famous words of Henry II.  Arrivaderci, Thomas.


And that's my December saints blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment