Wednesday, March 26, 2014

12th century art - Norman and Islamic architecture in Sicily

3  I found this on the Medieval Academy of America blog - there are so many beautiful pictures of medieval Sicily but I thought I'd start with this one -  I don't know who wrote it but here it is, it looks to me like Monreale, which is stunning - check it out online

A very dear friend of mine has moved to Sicily for a spell. The pictures she has been sharing are phenomenal. Since I can't join her, I thought it a good excuse to rummage through my knowledge of Norman art and architecture in Sicily...which I know a surprising amount about, because my medieval professor in graduate school has published on the topic, and taught us an entire seminar's worth of 12th century architecture...
Part of what I find most fascinating about 12th century Norman art and architecture in Sicily is the mixture of Norman Romanesque, native Italian materials, and Islamic influences...see where you can spot them in this smattering of art from that period:
Cloister, Monreale Cathedral: view from the southwest, showing sculpted capitals of north side, ca. 1175-118. Monreale, Sicily

No comments:

Post a Comment