Saturday, October 25, 2014

Oh yes, Corleone

Oh, I forgot to mention that book #3 of the Vespers Trilogy has Ysabella and Company (or some of them) settling into Leo's estate, La Serenita, outside of Corleone, where there is a medieval convent called Santa Maria del Bosco - really.  And I'm going to see it.  Most people think I picked Corleone because of The Godfather (which I did love, but no, that's not exactly why).  Corleone was a mountain town within a day's journey from Palermo so that when our family was fleeing the siege of Palermo, they could make it that far.  Also, I had to pick a place where the hated Angevins weren't, and the mountains of Sicily, known for bandits, etc. (most of whom were relatives) was perfect.  I was also secretly hoping, of course, that people would remember the name from the famous movie, but truly, folks, Corleone was a medieval town in its own right.  It just had to wait for Martin Scorsese to make it a household word.

No comments:

Post a Comment